The new year is here, and your 2013 resolutions can include a commitment to make your Calgary landscape greener and more eco-friendly. Be prepared when spring comes by making a checklist of new year’s resolutions for your lawn and garden. Here are five ideas to consider:
- Reduce water consumption: Not only does reducing the amount of water you use on your lawn help you cut down your household costs, but it’s also good for the environment. Two strategies that help you save without sacrificing the lush green lawn you want are irrigation systems and scheduled watering. An irrigation system is an investment that can pay dividends down the road, both by reducing your water usage as well as increasing the resale value of your home. Scheduled watering — particularly around the dawn and dusk hours — is an economical way of maintaining your lawn’s healthy appearance, since your grass will absorb more moisture at these times of day.
- Consider alternative surfacing materials – Not every single square foot of your home’s exterior needs to be covered with grass; there are plenty of other ways to beautify your Calgary landscape. Consider gravel and stone gardens as means of creating maintenance-free visual texture.
- Build a vegetable garden – Converting a patch of your back yard into a vegetable garden is a great project. Not only does this help you reduce water consumption, but it will also take a bite out of your grocery bill when the fresh, home-grown produce is ready for harvesting.
- Add a compost bin – One of the best ways to ensure your lawn and gardens get all the nutrients they need is to take advantage of compost. Any organic material that you would otherwise dispose of can be put in your compost bin, then spread over your lawn or garden to provide vital nutrients that help grass, flowers, plants and vegetables grow more quickly.
- Create a patio – Building a deck or patio is a great way to reduce the amount of labour required to maintain your yard, all while enhancing the functionality of your space. You can also add wooden or stone walkways between your patio and garden to further reduce your maintenance burden while adding a quaint touch of country charm.
At Mirage Landscaping, we’re here to help you realize your goals and dreams for your Calgary landscape. If you’d like more ideas for ways you can beautify your yard while reducing water consumption, or if you’d like to arrange regular lawn and yard maintenance this spring and summer, please contact us.