It’s been a harsh winter in Calgary so far, and a lot of snow has fallen. We are well into our third month of heavy-duty snow removal throughout southern Alberta. It’s tedious and difficult labour, unless, of course, you decide to give yourself a break. Get the best snow removal in southeast Calgary working for you.
Why Snow Removal is Important
Calgary bylaw compliance standards require home and business owners to remove snow accumulation within 24 hours of a major storm. Apart from staying on the right side of the law, there are many other reasons why it’s important to stay on top of your snow removal requirements:
- It can reduce your risks of being liable in a slip-and-fall accident, which can in turn help you save money on your insurance costs
- It improves mobility and safety for you and other community members
- It protects against property damage that can result from excess accumulation of snow and ice
Average Snowfall Levels Help You Predict the Workload
While Calgary isn’t Canada’s snowiest city, it does have long winters. The first snowfall can strike as early as September, and it’s common for the calendar to reach May before you can safely put your snow shovels away.
Here’s a detailed breakdown of the average number of snowy days and the average total accumulation for each month of the Calgary winter:
- September: 1.3 snowy days, 4 cm accumulation
- October: 4.1 snowy days, 10 cm accumulation
- November: 7.4 snowy days, 17 cm accumulation
- December: 7.7 snowy days, 15 cm accumulation
- January: 7.7 snowy days, 15 cm accumulation
- February: 7.4 snowy days, 15 cm accumulation
- March: 9.5 snowy days, 23 cm accumulation
- April: 6.4 snowy days, 19 cm accumulation
- May: 2.6 snowy days, 12 cm accumulation
That’s an annual average total of more than 54 snowy days per year and 130 centimetres of accumulation, and this winter has been off to an unusually snowy start. If you aren’t able to keep up with that pace, arranging professional snow removal services is an option you should consider.
Services Offered by the City
The City of Calgary operates a Snow and Ice Control Program, which aims to keep public roadways clear and safe following a snowstorm. City council has also approved a priority system that sets a protocol for the distribution of snow removal resources in the aftermath of a major weather event.
The priority system focuses on major traffic corridors first before moving on to clearing, sanding and salting lesser-travelled parts of the city. It also covers the deployment of resources to keep essential services, such as public transit, running to the most extensive possible degree.
Important Questions to Ask when Hiring a Contractor
It’s important to do your research before hiring a snow removal contractor to take care of your home or business. Here are some key questions you should ask:
- What types of snow removal do you offer, and what equipment do you use for specific situations (i.e. light, medium, and heavy accumulation)?
- How long have you been in business?
- Are there extra charges for services like de-icing and surface salting?
- Do you have any package deals, price breaks or other options that can bring down the cost?
- Do you have references?
- Do you meet the City of Calgary’s licensing requirements, and is your license valid and current?
- Do you offer a written quote? (Verbal agreements are non-binding and should be viewed with skepticism.)
Also, it’s a good idea to collect multiple quotes, then compare the service terms and conditions attached to each provider. In the end, choose the provider that offers the best combination of affordability, reliable service, and manpower. You want to be sure the task will get done on time, every time, and that the contractor has the equipment to handle even the most demanding jobs.
The Best Snow Removal in Southeast Calgary: Trust Mirage
Mirage Landscaping is a locally based, family-run company that’s been around for three generations and counting. Snow removal is one of the central aspects of our business, and we maintain an extensive inventory of state-of-the-art equipment, along with a large workforce to ensure prompt snow removal no matter what the circumstances.
We take pride in offering top-notch service at the most competitive prices you’ll find. See for yourself! Contact Mirage Landscaping today to get a fast, free quote on our industry-leading snow removal services.