Calgarians are well aware that spring in the city is often dusty, dirty, and allergy inducing, so when it’s finally nice enough to start to get rid of the remnants of winter, we simply can’t wait for spring cleanups.
There are rules to good spring cleanups, though. Although it may be tempting to strap on the gardening gloves and arm yourself with a box of garbage bags and a rake as soon as the weather somewhat cooperates, expert gardeners advise waiting until it has been consistently above 10 degrees Celsius during the day for at least seven days before starting a spring clean-up. The reason for this has to do with helping our environment stay as healthy and vibrant as possible.
Right now, bees and other pollinators, plus the very beneficial ladybug, which happily helps rid gardens of pests such as aphids, are still comfortably nestled in the dead plant material of your garden, where they overwinter to stay safe and warm during the cold months. If you perform a spring cleanup too early, you risk either destroying them entirely or disturbing them enough to cause them to leave, when they won’t be able to survive the weather.
Leaving your dead plant material for longer will allow the do-gooder insects the right amount of time to grow strong and healthy, which will then support a robust population during the summer to keep your garden – and others – blooming beautifully.
Calgary street cleaning
For snow and ice removal, the City of Calgary uses salt to de-ice the roads when the surface temperatures are between zero and -10 degrees Celsius and expected to remain that way for several days. When the road surface temperature is -5 degree Celsius and the forecast is for the temperature to dip further, road salt ceases to be effective and the City applies a “sanding chip” mixture, which is 3% salt and 97% gravel.
That gravel is helpful during the winter, but hazardous during the spring. It makes it difficult for cyclists and motorcyclists to ride their bikes and causes more than one windshield crack. Thankfully, the City of Calgary has posted its 2023 street-cleaning schedule, where residents can check when crews are coming to their neighbourhood. Also watch for signs in your community indicated which hours vehicles should be removed from roads.
More than 16,000 lane kilometres are swept every spring in Calgary in an effort to keep the city clean and safe for pedestrians, motorists and cyclists. The cleanup also reduces water pollution by preventing the run-off of sanding materials and debris from entering water systems.
Calgary community cleanups
Community cleanups in Calgary start April 22, when the City provides an opportunity for Calgarians to dispose of items that do not fit in their waste and recycling carts. For each cleanup event, the City will bring in three packer trucks with crews, usually from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. View the schedule to find out when they will be in your area.
Before visiting a community cleanup location, familiarize yourself with the items the City does and does not take. Common restricted items include barbecues, lawnmowers, household chemicals and large appliances.
Spring cleanup duties from Mirage
As a residential or commercial landscape maintenance customer of Mirage Landscaping, your spring cleanup package will include:
- Power raking of lawn areas. All lawns have thatch, which is a layer of dead grass, rhizomes, and roots. A small amount of thatch is ok, because it helps shade the soil and new roots, but a thick and dense layer will block water, air, and nutrients from getting where they need to be. It can also make a lawn appear bumpy and promote the growth of bacteria and fungus. Power-raking removes thatch, combs out dead grass, and sets up the perfect conditions for fertilizing.
- Clearing of gravel from lawns. A lot of the City’s gravel gets kicked up onto properties, and it needs to be removed. Gravel will not only wreck your grass, it will wreck machines as well. Gravel removal is part of our spring clean-up services.
- First application of fertilizer. Fertilizer is vital in the spring, providing your lawn with key nutrients that will help keep it full, green, and healthy throughout the summer. Fertilizing also boosts your lawn’s natural resistance to weeds and pests.
- Removal of lawn litter and debris from lawn and garden areas. It’s very nice to watch the snow start to melt away, but it often leaves behind a bunch of dirt and debris. As part of our spring clean-up services we will remove all garbage from your yard, including your grass clippings, and we will sweep away all lawn clippings from entrances and sidewalks.
- Edging and raking of tree wells and gardens to clear out weeds and help moisture get through to root systems.
Count on Mirage Landscaping for All Your Property Maintenance Needs
Our family-owned company has been specializing in helping property owners in southeast Calgary keep their homes and businesses looking great for low prices. For three generations, we’ve been delivering affordable landscape maintenance and landscape construction services that exceed customer expectations. Familiarize yourself with our work by browsing our online portfolio of just a few of our past projects.
We are pleased to offer custom quotes that allow you to put together a uniquely designed service package, according to your specific needs. Simply use our online form, enter your information and project details, and one of our team members will perform an evaluation and get in touch with you to offer a low and affordable price quote. It’s fast and easy!