If winter has your green thumb itching to get busy, indoor gardening is the perfect outlet for your passion and creativity. Not only does indoor gardening beautify your home, but it also helps Calgary landscapers get a jump start on spring gardening by allowing you to start plants indoors before transferring them outdoors once the warm weather arrives.
Let’s begin with the basics. When it comes to indoor gardening, you have two main options: you can either replicate outdoor conditions by creating a large indoor garden, complete with 12 inches of soil depth and plenty of room for plants to grow naturally. Since most don’t have the space to commit to that kind of project, the usual solution is to grow plants individually in pots or other suitable containers.
The major advantage of indoor gardening is that you can grow plants in carefully controlled conditions, but you need to begin with the right size containers. As a general rule of thumb, the larger the plant will be when it reaches full size, the larger the pot or container you need. Plastic bags and so-called “smart pots”, available from your local gardening retailer, are also excellent options.
As for soil, Calgary landscapers recommend high quality premixed soil with equal parts of topsoil, peat, and compost. If you compost, you can mix your own!
Here are some helpful tips to help you get started with indoor gardening:
- Do not over-water your plants. This is the number one mistake most indoor gardeners make. Saturating your plants with water prevents proper soil drainage, and will do the plant more harm than good.
- Ensure your home has adequate indoor humidity. Plant leaves will turn brown if the air inside your home is too dry. Use a humidifier in rooms where you are growing plants.
- Make sure your plants get adequate light; natural sunlight is best. Also, avoid exposing your plants to drafty conditions or cold temperatures for prolonged periods of time.
As spring inches ever closer, you may want to start off some of your outdoor plants inside your home. If you’re looking to start seeds early, here are some professional tips from Calgary landscapers to get you off on the right foot:
- Use a leak-free medium-sized cardboard box as your makeshift indoor garden container. Get one mid-sized peat pot for each plant you want to start, and fill them halfway with fertile potting soil.
- Saturate the soil with water, and cover the wet soil by filling the remainder of the pot with dry potting soil. Add a small amount of water once your pots are full, and ensure the soil surfaces are level.
- Plant one seed per pot, in the middle of the pot. Once the seed is planted, spray the soil with water to help kick-start the germination process.
- Cover the newly planted seed with soil, as directed by the instruction on the seed packet.
- Ensure the seedlings get plenty of exposure to natural light, and keep them well-watered for about one week, until the plant begins to sprout.
At Mirage Landscaping we have assembled the city’s top team of Calgary landscapers. Our services include everything from snow removal to spring yard cleanup, property maintenance and professional landscaping services. If you’d like to learn more, or to get a no-obligation quote for our services, please don’t hesitate to contact us.