Mirage Landscaping has been operating for three generations now, and our energy and expertise in the landscaping business keeps growing. We are a full-service commercial and residential landscaping business offering a 100% satisfaction guarantee and specializing in serving the southeast communities of Calgary – where we love to both live and work.
One of our most favourite projects to tackle is a yard pond installation. It’s not something a lot of people think about when imagining their landscaping. We think they’re great for adding a little visual interest to a yard, and they are surprisingly easy to take care of. Aside from being appealing, there are also a few added benefits that make them great for families and nature lovers.
The Benefits of Having a Pond or Water Feature
Ponds are just pretty, and that’s one of the first reasons to consider having one. We design our ponds using natural rocks and with an eye for a natural aesthetic. We can have yours appear like a springtime waterfall fresh from the mountains, or as an in-ground pool complete with footbridges and plantings. Whatever you choose, the result will be something you will love coming home to and living beside.
Additional reasons for considering a pond installation are:
- The auditory appeal. Ponds actually create a form of white noise, which acts as a filter for sounds around you. If you live near a busy road, a pond can help mask the distraction.
- Improved mental health. The sound of gently moving water is just relaxing, and can greatly improve your mood. Your pond can provide a kind of calming sanctuary for you, where you know you are safe and in control. Running water is also said to help with meditation.
- The cooling effect. A properly shaded pond placed in the right spot in your yard can help keep temperatures down. The process of the water evaporating off the pond’s surface requires heat, which removes it from the air around.
- Water reservoir. We can design your pond so that it collects rainwater from your gutters and drainpipes, which can also help sustain nearby plants, shrubs, and trees. The moisture also benefits your grass. And because ponds take up space in your yard, overall maintenance is lowered.
- Wildlife galore. Calgary has birds. Lots of birds! Anyone who has ever had a birdbath knows how they love to come and splash around in the summer. Picture that and more with your pond. It’s a great way to teach yourself and your loved ones about the wildlife that lives in the city. There are several Calgarians who will even put out koi fish, which do well in this climate. They hibernate in the winter, so pond owners can perform a simple winterization to get their habitat ready.
How Do We Perform a Pond Installation
Each pond installation that we do is unique to the family for whom we create it, but there are some details that remain the same for them all. These essentials of pond installation will not only allow you to enjoy your amazing personal space, but also keep maintenance at a minimum.
- We shape our ponds and waterfalls so that they do not create a hazard. We leave a space around the entire perimeter so they are easy to reach into and clean from all angles.
- All ponds are lined with a heavy-duty liner the creates the needed reservoir, and we also extend the liner so as to prevent weeds and unwanted growth.
- For the winter, you will need to pump out the water from your pond. A great way to do this is to build so that the water all drains towards one end, and we can build in a small (and lined) sump hole where water will collect. This makes it much easier (and faster) to pump out.
- All ponds need to be filtered constantly to keep debris from settling and decaying. The movement of the water also helps keep pests such as mosquitoes away. Filtering systems are not complicated and keep your pond healthy and beautiful.
Commercial and Residential Landscaping services by Mirage
- Auburn Bay, Chaparral, Chaparral Valley, Copperfield, Cranston, Douglasdale, Heritage Pointe, Lake Bonavista, Mahogany, McKenzie Lake, Mackenzie Towne, Maple Ridge, New Brighton, Odgen/Lynwood/Millican, Parkland, Riverbend, Sundance, Walden, and Willow Park.