It’s official —spring is here! Even though it may not yet feel like summer yet, warm weather is just around the corner and that means a lot of Calgary homeowners are thinking about ways to spruce up their properties.
Decks and fences both rank high on the list of the most popular outdoor home upgrades, so if you’ve been thinking about adding one to your yard, Mirage Landscaping can help get you started.
Most Popular and Practical Materials
One of the first tasks you’ll face is choosing your deck material, and given the climate here in Calgary, it’s something you’ll have to think about carefully. Some materials are better-suited to resisting Alberta’s harsh natural elements than others, and you’ll want your new deck’s lifespan to reflect the investment you’ve made in building it.
With that in mind, here are some of the top choices of professional home improvement experts:
- Treated lumber. This is far and away the most economical option, and treated lumber is easy to handle. If you don’t mind doing an annual power-washing and applying stain and/or wood preservative every other year, treated lumber is a great bet for your new deck.
- Cedar and redwood. These classic wood products make great decks, especially if you’re looking for an authentic, rustic touch. Pro tip: buy wood with a high concentration of what is known as “heartwood.” This is the wood that grows closest to the centre of the tree, and it’s denser and stronger (and usually more expensive). The extra investment is worth it, since inferior-quality cedar and redwood will need much more maintenance.
- Tropical hardwood. If you’re going for a more exotic look, tropical hardwoods like tigerwood, mahogany, ipe and cumaru are well worth considering. They are extremely dense, giving them added durability, but the down side is that they don’t usually take well to staining treatments. If you want to stain your tropical hardwood deck, stick with an oil-based product specially formulated for these wood types.
- Aluminum. Granted, aluminum isn’t the most common deck-building material, but it’s got a lot of merits that are worth considering. It is arguably the most weather-resistant deck material on the market, and it will never rot, crack, or warp, and aluminum is naturally rust-resistant. Get creative and enjoy a long-lasting, low-maintenance aluminum deck.
Top Designs and Styles
Once you’ve chosen the right material for your Calgary deck, you can move on to decide what kind you’d like to build. This is likely to be influenced by your budget and the amount of space you have available, but if you’re looking for something that departs from the regular platform style of deck, consider these alternatives:
- Raised decks. If your home’s main floor is above the grade of your yard, a raised deck is the ideal solution. However, they do require foundations and safety features to help prevent slips and falls.
- Two-storey decks. An upstairs-downstairs take on the standard backyard deck, a two-storey deck is a great idea if you love to entertain. They work best if your yard is accessible from both levels of your house.
- Multi-level decks. This variation on the two-storey deck creates a raised level and a lower level connected by ramps or stairs, and it’s a perfect option if your back yard has a natural slope.
Before you go ahead and build, a word of advice: always “call before you dig.” Power lines and other urban infrastructure may run underground, even through private property. It’s better to be safe than sorry, and doing the requisite research only takes a minute.
Mirage Builds Affordable and Beautiful Custom Fences
Fences offer more than just a way to keep peace with your neighbours; they’re also ideal for accentuating your property. At Mirage Landscaping, we build beautiful custom fences to your exact specifications, all for very affordable prices. It’s never been easier to add fences to your Calgary home — simply let us know what you have in mind and we’ll take care of all the details.
In addition to fences, we also build:
- Retaining walls
- Irrigation systems
Trust Mirage for All Your Home Landscaping Needs
Mirage Landscaping has been a leading name in Calgary landscaping for years, and our family-run company takes great pride in exceeding customer expectations time and time again. Whether you’re looking to schedule a spring cleanup, arrange affordable professional property maintenance or overhaul your home’s exterior, we’re here to help! Contact us today to get a fast, free quote.