Over our time in the landscaping industry we have designed for hundreds of homes and businesses, but some of our favourite and most challenging projects are when we are asked to create the green spaces for condominium and apartment complexes. These are more difficult projects for landscape designers, as you need to make a lot of impact with not a lot of room, plus also make sure the design is resistant to high traffic and Calgary’s often wild weather. Apartment and condominium landscaping designs also need to be easily maintained.
It’s especially satisfying for us to provide our expertise to those who live in multi-unit buildings, as we know how much enjoyment residents get out of having something nice to look at. Plus, well thought-out apartment and condominium landscaping adds beauty to neighbourhoods and helps keep property values high.
Considerations for apartment and condominium landscaping
Appearances matter when it comes to apartment and condo living in Calgary. Global News reported in March that the apartment vacancy rate is at 6.6%, with the highest rate of empty units in the downtown core at 8.8%, and a lower rate of 5.6% in the Beltline. That means that those trying to fill their vacancies have to try even harder to beat all the extra competition out there, and first impressions can make all the difference.
When putting together our plans for an apartment or condominium landscaping project, there are a few major things we like to talk about with our clients.
- Upping the entrance game. If possible and if space allows, we like to recommend making the entrance a major focus point of your landscaping. Adding elements such as a water fountain or a sitting area shows pride in the property and respect for those who live there.
- Using landscaping to help buffer noise. Although trees and shrubs do require regular care and attention, they more than make up for it in visual appeal and their ability to help filter out street noise. They also contribute to adding clean oxygen to the environment in areas that tend to have lower air quality.
- Landscaping can deter crime. Apartment and condominium landscaping can also function as crime prevention. We lay walkways and use landscaping to lead people to entrances and away from areas they shouldn’t be. Shrubs and trees should never cover windows or doors, and trees should be tall enough and pruned well enough to easily see through underneath. Thorny plants near fences and accessible windows deter prowlers from getting too close. Apartment and condominium landscaping should never create places to hide.
- Flowering shrubs bring bees. There are lots of different kinds of pretty flowering shrubs that do well in Calgary, and they also provide food for the world’s much-needed pollinators. You can choose different flowering shrubs to provide a variety of colour splashes throughout the summer.
- Planters just bring joy. Eye-catching planters stuffed with beautiful annuals are cheerful, elegant, and beautiful. These also indicate a home with residents who care about its appearance and upkeep.
- Consider a common garden. If there is a common space that can be made better use of, we suggest condo boards discuss with residents whether they might like garden boxes installed to grow their own vegetables and spices.
- Consider mulching with pebbles or rocks to make hard for anyone approaching to keep quiet.
Retaining walls can add security as well as versatility and visual appeal
Retaining walls are a great addition for just about every property, and apartment and condominium landscaping projects are no different. Basically, what they do is provide more “flat” space, and can be built to provide extra stability and support to reduce erosion on properties with steep downhill slopes. We install our retaining walls with built-in underground irrigation to save water and time, and they provide the perfect planting conditions for all kinds of shrubs, trees, and perennials.
Retaining walls can also add an additional layer of security for your apartment or condominium complex by signaling where people are welcome to go, and where they are not. They can even be built to act as a wall or a fence.
A Google review from one of our apartment and condominium landscaping clients speaks of the quality you can expect from a Mirage landscaping retaining wall contractor:
“We hired Mirage to do some retaining wall repair/reconstruction at our condo complex. The quality of the far surpassed anyone’s expectations. The crew on-site was extremely careful not to damage anything, kept the site immaculately clean and tidy. When unforeseen issues did arise, everything was clearly explained and the best solution agreed too. I would recommend Mirage Landscaping for any work, without hesitation.”
Contacts Mirage Landscaping for an apartment or condominium landscaping quote
With three generations of experience amongst our very talented crew, we are very proud of what we do at Mirage Landscaping. We live where we work, and specialize in serving the southeast area of Calgary, including the communities of:
Auburn Bay, Chaparral, Chaparral Valley, Copperfield, Cranston, Douglasdale, Heritage Pointe, Lake Bonavista, Mahogany, McKenzie Lake, Mackenzie Towne, Maple Ridge, New Brighton, Odgen/Lynwood/Millican, Parkland, Riverbend, Sundance, Walden, and Willow Park.