It’s tough to pinpoint exactly how much great landscaping can add to the value of your home, but many experts suggest the number can range from about 10% to 20% — depending on the quality of the work, of course. Sophisticated designs that work well with the style of your house and that incorporate elements increasing function and usability will provide home-value longevity and improve curb appeal. We at Mirage Landscaping are experts in landscape construction, and always like to recommend a beautiful array of trees, shrubs and perennials accented by stone retaining walls, intricately designed pathways and patios, and fun additions that will help keep you outdoors year-round such as a diversity in seating arrangements, fire pits and outdoor kitchens.
If you happen to be selling your home, however, we know that your hard-earned saving are more than likely targeted for something different than a full-blown yard makeover before you move. The real estate market in Calgary is very hot right now, with the year so far boasting record-high home sales. The Calgary Real Estate Board’s monthly snapshot for October shows an increase in home sales of 24% from last year, with the number of properties changing hands totaling 2,186. The average price of a detached home is up more than 10% at $540,900, with all types of homes together averaging an 8.9% increase in price year-over-year.
Sellers aren’t having too much problem unloading their properties right now, but there’s no reason why you can’t give yourself a leg up against the competition by increasing your outdoor appeal.
There are several things you can do for your landscaping (and yes, even in the winter), that can help sell your house that will also not cost you too much. Here are just a few ideas.
- Keep your pathways, sidewalks, and driveway perfectly clear of snow and ice when selling your home. You don’t want your prospective buyer to get the impression that your property is difficult to maintain and presents a slip and fall hazard for residents and visitors. While your house is on the market, consider hiring professional snow removal experts like us at Mirage Landscaping. We will ensure to arrive at your home as soon as possible after a snowfall and guarantee to keep your property looking as clean and approachable as possible. This will help to take the worry out of your property maintenance so you can concentrate on what’s more important for you right now.
- Tidy, tidy, tidy. Get into every nook and cranny of your yard (you know your buyer will anyway). It’s still not too cold to rake and sweep out every corner and even give your fence, your home’s exterior, and your soffits a good pressure wash.
- Reveal your property’s best landscaping features. Make sure to discuss with us what you want your buyer to see first, and we will make sure it shines. As snow begins to accumulate, we can blow it away from your retaining walls, patio areas, and areas where you might not normally shovel so your potential buyer has easy access everywhere they want to go. This will make them feel welcome and at ease.
- Adding extra lighting is another way to welcome people when selling your home, and is extra beneficial now that the sun is setting earlier. String lights add charm any time of year, and are a nice way to accentuate windows and rooftops. Solar-powered lamps allow for versatility of placement and are perfect for lighting pathways and entrances. Plus, they cast beautiful shadows on the snow.
- Dress up your doorway. Just painting the front door and adding a new porch light plus new house numbers can make a big difference for curb appeal. Investing in a nice big winter planter stuffed with spruce and cedar boughs, pretty branches, red berries, pine cones, and adorned with a giant bow creates a striking impression.
- Along the same lines, set up some winter planters in your garden areas. This allows your buyer to visualize your yard’s potential in the summer.
- It should go without saying, but remove signs of pets immediately.
Southeast Calgary snow removal services from Mirage
We have been taking care of the residential and commercial landscaping and snow removal needs for our southeast Calgary clients for three generations. Our overall mandate is to make your property as safe and attractive as possible for you, your family, and those who come visit. View our portfolio for examples of our work, and contact us for a fast and free quote today.