We’re all spending more time at home these days, but the good thing is that it’s finally summertime in Calgary. Our outdoor spaces await! It’s the ultimate summer to sit around a fire pit in your yard with your family and cohort, enjoying the night sky and the company of each other.
All of our landscaping and landscape maintenance projects are designed so that you can enjoy your yard and property even more. Although we are landscape maintenance experts at Mirage Landscaping, a large part of our business involves landscape construction. This means that we have a team of talented bricklayers and stone designers capable of building pretty much anything. We amazing amazing fire pit construction services, as well as build versatile retaining walls, multi-functional patios, creative walkways, soothing ponds, and even outdoor kitchens.
Fire Pit Construction
Fire pits provide great ambience for an evening outdoors, and even provide an additional way to try some new recipes. People are getting very creative with their culinary skills and their fire pit. Weenie and marshmallow roasts are still fun, but the bar has been raised. Place a barbecue grate over your fire pit to cook up fine cuts of meat. Slow roast some kabobs. Barbecued corn on the cob is always a treat. Bring out a cast-iron skillet and make a yummy mash of potatoes, sausage and peppers. Or just wrap some diced potatoes in tin foil for yummy hashbrowns. And, of course, there are always the crowd favourite – classic s’mores – to make.
Best of all, fire pits are greats for keeping away the maddening mosquitoes at night!
There are a number of ways to carry out a fire pit construction project. Some options available are:
- An in-ground brick or stone fire pit
- Concrete tree ring fire pits
- Above-ground metal fire pits
- Ceramic tile and stone fire pits
- Fire pits built with “backs” for a windbreak
In order to reduce the chance of a fire starting from embers flying around, we recommend also installing a brick or stone patio around your fire pit. Plus, this allows for easier seating for your family and guests.
Stay Within the Law
A fire pit construction is a great project, but it’s important to know and follow the rules around them. We all want to be good neighbours! These are some of the important points to know:
- A fire pit construction should be placed in an open area, not underneath any branches that could start fire.
- Mesh screens are now a requirement to reduce the chances of flying embers.
- All outdoors premises fires must be started in a bare earthen fire pit in the ground or must be located in an above ground receptacle made of inflammable material.
- The resulting fire cannot be within two metres of any property line, fencing, structure, or overhanging vegetation.
- The fire must be kept to a reasonable size, no more than one metre in height and breadth.
- Fires must be attended at all times.
- Fires may not be started before 10 a.m. and must be fully extinguished by midnight from Sunday to Thursday and 1 a.m on Fridays and Saturdays.
- The fire site must be completely cold before abandoning it.
- You may not burn hazardous or foul smoking materials within your residential fire pit. You are also not permitted to burn unseasoned firewood.
- You must have at hand some effective means by which to put out the fire if it should grow out of the control of its designated area. Keep a fire extinguisher handy, and your hose works as well.
Failure to adhere to these bylaws can result in a fine ranging from between $500 to $5,000, or referral for criminal charges in serious cases.
Use Common Sense
Watch the wind carefully when you are using a fire pit. It’s never a good idea to start a fire when it’s windy out, as embers get thrown around and you can accidentally smoke out your neighbours.
Fire is fascinating – especially for children. Be sure to teach the young ones to never go near the fire. Leave that up to the adults!
Keep chairs well away from your fire pits. Be sure everyone has enough room to get up and move around safely.
Mirage Landscaping and Construction Services
Mirage Landscaping is a full-service Calgary landscape design, construction and maintenance company serving residential and commercial property owners throughout the area. We provide services for all phases of your landscaping projects, from concept through to completion, including design, construction and installation. With over three generations of experience landscaping in Calgary, our commitment to individualized customer service has made us a leader in our industry, which is something we take great pride in. View our portfolio here, and contact us for a quote on your next outdoor project.