Becoming a new homeowner is one of the greatest milestones in life. It’s a beautiful thing to have a space you can call all your own and have the opportunity to cultivate to represent your personal aesthetic. While we hustle and bustle about choosing paint colours, fixtures, and trim for the interior, often one of the most often forgotten about, but most exciting opportunities, is your exterior landscaping.
Your outdoor space says a lot and can greatly add to your use and enjoyment of your home and yard, plus add to its value. Experts estimate the value of custom landscape construction to be somewhere between 5% to 20% of the overall worth of your property, so an investment into your outdoor living is well worth it.
In order to create your ultimate dreamscape for your new home, you need a landscape construction plan. That’s where we experts at Mirage Landscaping come into play. We have more than three generations of experience among our crew, and we know the right questions to ask to get our clients thinking about the possibilities for their property. Your landscape construction should last as long as your home, growing and developing with you and your family.
Establish your vision
Before starting any landscape construction, it is vital to have a clear vision of what you want to achieve with your outdoor space. Consider your lifestyle, preferences, and future plans. Think about how you will use the space — whether it’s for entertaining guests, gardening, playing with kids, or simply relaxing. A well-defined vision will serve as a foundation for the entire landscape construction process.
Ensure you are working with professional landscape designers
Professional landscape designers such as us at Mirage can make a significant difference in the final outcome of your landscape construction project. We have the expertise to transform your vision into a well-designed, implementable plan, and have the experience needed to anticipate problems before they happen. Our insights can elevate your creativity to a whole new level.
Successful landscape construction involves creating distinct zones within your yard, with each serving a specific purpose. For example, you may have a designated area for outdoor dining, another for gardening, and a third for relaxation. A smooth flow between zones with well-connected pathways or walkways is imperative.
Set your budget
Landscape construction can range from small, simple improvements to highly complicated, elaborate transformations, and costs can quickly add up. It’s crucial to set a realistic budget for your project. Consider your financial capacity and prioritize what you want for your yard. We will work closely with you to ensure your budget is met and your expectations exceeded. Best of all, we always 100% guarantee our work.
Aspects of your landscape construction budget may include:
- Materials: This category covers the costs of plants, trees, shrubs, flowers, soil, mulch, rocks, pavers, and any other hardscape materials needed for additions such as retaining walls, patios, and pathways.
- Labour: We will always be completely transparent about the cost of labour involved for your landscape construction project, and the best part is that you know you will be dealing with us and only us. We have the talent, knowledge, equipment, and materials on hand to be able to carry out any landscape construction project without the need for sub-contractors.
- Permits and inspections: Permits may be required for landscape construction projects such as a fence installation, an above-ground deck, and larger-than-usual retaining walls.
- Site preparation: This part of your budget will account for clearing, grading, excavation, and any necessary groundwork to prepare for landscaping work
- Maintenance costs: We always highly recommend those who undertake a landscape construction project have landscape maintenance professionals like us assist with the care of your yard … at least for a while. We can make sure your new trees and plants are getting enough water with our customizable watering packages.
Remember, when budgeting for a landscape construction project, always be prepared for incidentals. Put aside a reserve fund for unforeseen expenses or changes during the construction phase. It is not unusual for our clients to have a brainstorm during our build and want to add something else. This is usually totally fine, and we encourage open minds. Having the budget in hand is the only obstacle.
Account for future growth
Keep in mind that landscapes evolve over time. Plants grow, trees mature, and your family’s needs might change. Account for future growth when designing your landscape to avoid overcrowding and the need for extensive renovations down the road.
Count on Mirage Landscaping for all your landscape construction needs
Landscape construction is an exciting journey that allows new homeowners to shape their outdoor spaces according to their preferences and needs. By establishing a clear vision, seeking professional guidance, setting a budget, and carefully planning for growth, you can create a beautiful and functional landscape that brings joy and adds value to your new home for years to come.
Mirage Landscaping is pleased to provide custom quotes for landscape construction projects. Use our online form, enter your information and project details, and one of our team members will be in touch to start a no-pressure conversation. Check out our portfolio to get your creative juices flowing.