Last winter was a very bad one in Calgary for slip and fall accidents. A CBC article dated Dec. 26, 2017 and titled, “Falls on ice seriously injure Albertans at triple the rate of people in Ontario,” states that Alberta saw 42.3 hospitalizations per 100,000 people between 2011 and 2016 because of a slip and fall, numbers that are based on statistics compiled by the Canadian Institute for Health Information.
That’s a lot, and is only slightly less worse than Saskatchewan, which has the worst rate of slip and fall incidents in the country. Last year was extremely cold, snowy, and icy, but other winters we will often see a freeze and cold cycle due to Chinooks. This is another way our roads, sidewalks and pathways can become extremely hazardous.
Snow Removal Reduces Slip and Fall Accidents
Professional Calgary commercial property care services by Mirage Landscaping will reduce the chances of your being found liable for someone slipping and falling on your property.
That means a loss in revenue and serious damage to your business’s reputation. You are at risk of being sued if someone trips, slips or falls when:
- Your property is unsafe. Icy pavement and wet floors will qualify as such.
- There are hazardous conditions that could have been repaired, such as cracks in your pathways.
- You fail to post warning signs advising of any known hazards.
- The accident could have been avoided if you had taken precautions.
- You fail to have written inspection and maintenance procedures in place.
Removing snow and ice from your commercial property isn’t just good business; it’s also a legal requirement. Calgary bylaws state that property owners and occupants must remove snow and ice from city sidewalks no more than 24 hours after the last snowflake hits the ground. Failure to do so will result in a warning notice, which will give you another 24 hours to clear your property. If you still have not removed snow and ice down to the bare surface of all your pathways and sidewalks the City of Calgary will come and do it for you, which will cost a minimum of 150.00 plus GST and an administration fee. For commercial property owners the fine is likely to be higher.
Staying on top of commercial snow removal in Calgary isn’t easy without professional help. Here are five reasons to enlist Mirage Landscaping to help. We’re an easy and affordable way to make sure your business remains open and accessible no matter what winter may bring.
The most common types of injuries after a slip and fall are:
- Bruises, cuts and abrasions
- Broken bones
- Neck and back injuries
- Head injuries
- Soft tissue injuries such as sprains and tendon and ligament tears
Slip and fall accidents can result in long-term damage to the victim. Good care of your property in the winter will show your clients and customers you care about their well-being and you want to make their experience a positive one.
Specific situations that pose a heightened risk of causing slips and falls in the Calgary southeast.
- Snow and ice that has not been cleared from sidewalks, walkways and driveways
- Wet floors, resulting from tracked-in snow and slush, spills, or mopping
- Poor lighting
- No handrails
- Sharp rises or drops in pathways or pavement (potentially due to cracks)
Choose Mirage Landscaping for Your Winter Property Maintenance Needs
At Mirage Landscaping, we want to earn your business. Our family-owned company has been providing Calgary homes and businesses with outstanding service at affordable prices for three generations. When you choose us for commercial snow removal in Calgary, you will get:
- Perfectly cleared sidewalks and parking lots
- Prompt and reliable service that ensures your business will never be in violation of Calgary’s snow removal bylaws
- Non-disruptive plow times to minimize any disruption of your business
- Complete documentation of your snow removal efforts, which can make a world of difference in a worst-case scenario involving legal action for injury claims
Mirage Landscaping has extensive human resources and professional-grade, heavy-duty snow removal equipment. Our crews always get the job done promptly, no matter how large your property may be and no matter how much snow has fallen.
Commercial Snow Removal Calgary: Get a Custom Quote Today
Many of our customers are surprised to learn just how affordable our Calgary commercial snow removal services are. Help keep your customers safe this winter season, all while reducing your risks and liabilities. Get started by requesting a custom commercial snow removal quote from Mirage Landscaping today.