There are a number of snow removal establishments in Calgary, but they come with varying capabilities. Many, in fact the vast majority, are actually just one person (maybe two or three) with inadequate equipment. Others may have a few more employees, but they’re all part-time and on call, meaning owners and customers can never be sure whether or not there will be enough staff available to handle large snowfalls that occur in short periods of time. And this is just on the residential side of the business.
When it comes to commercial snow removal, the story can be even worse. Many companies promise a lot more than they can deliver. They don’t have the necessary equipment, enough of it, and the experienced staff they need to fulfill their contractual obligations.
After three generations of serving the southeast area of Calgary, we at Mirage Landscaping have cultivated a dedicated staff, many of whom are family members, others who have been with us for years. We also have put together a fleet of trucks, tractors, garbage trucks, and, yes, snow plows. We are able to provide the very best snow plow services to properties of any size, and finish off the job with power brushes plus snow blowers and shovels to leave your property perfectly cleared each and every time.
How Snow Plow Systems Work
As part of our fleet of equipment, we have several detachable snow blades that we can hook up on to our tractors and our trucks. This means that we can divide and conquer when Calgary experiences a heavy snowfall, hitting all of our commercial properties well within the allotted 24 hours the City of Calgary allows for snow removal.
Snow plows work using hydraulic systems that lift and lower the blades. These need to be meticulously maintained in order to not harm properties. Blades that are not sharpened and honed can cause gouges in the pavement that will get worse and worse over time. Snow plow blades should also not be dropped so low that they end up peeling back the top layer of pavement. It is our responsibility to ensure your property remains in tip top condition at all times.
Snow plows push snow along: they do not scoop it. This allows for snow plow services to be done more quickly and with different equipment, such as either a tractor or a truck.
Snow Plow Efficiency and Safety
Excellent snow plow services requires knowledge and proficiency. Only our most experienced employees are the ones in charge of our heavy equipment. You can’t just attack a parking lot with no rhyme or reason … this will result in a mess that is tough to repair the next time. Snow plow services require a concerted plan of attack, one that can be maintained visit after visit after visit.
Just a few of the tips and tricks we’ve learned over the years include:
- Snow plowing should be done late at night or early in the morning when there are no parked cars to have to work around.
- We always communicate clearly with the property owner or manager as to where they would like their snow piled.
- Snow should be piled at the edge of properties, but not in spots that block the line of view for people entering or leaving the property.
- We drag snow back away from buildings first in order to avoid having snow accumulate against walls.
- For larger properties, we will break down the plowing into sections and create more than one pile, as just one would become far too large very quickly.
- We use additional caution around curbs, parking blocks, landscaping, and decorative elements.
- We note the location of drains and ensure they are clear at all times, which helps speed up the melting process.
- We ensure to shovel or clear the sidewalks first so that we can then use the plow to clear that snow away.
Not Happy With Your Snow Removal Services? Let Us Know
Mirage Landscaping is a family-owned business, and we work hard to maintain the reputation we have worked for decades to earn. Our snow removal contracts are clear and detailed so you know exactly what our obligations are, and we always live our obligations to the letter.
In addition to snow removal services, we also provide landscape maintenance and landscape construction services. We specialize in serving the southeast communities of Calgary, where we have lived and worked for several years. Contact us today for a fast and easy quote using our online form, or else give us a call at 403-252-5235. Unlike many landscaping and snow removal companies, we hold regular office hours and are easily reachable during the day.