Before we talk about spring clean-up here in Calgary, it’s important to clarify that as snow removal, landscaping and property maintenance services have not been specifically prohibited from operating, we are able to continue to stay up and running according to the Government of Alberta. Businesses that must remain closed include retail operations, recreational and entertainment facilities (such as gyms, museums, and libraries), restaurants, cafes, bars, personal and cosmetic enhancement services (such as beauty salons), plus massage and chiropractic centres.
We’re glad we can keep up our snow removal services for you as we slowly, very slowly, start to warm up. But even though we have the green light to keep working, we know that we still have to follow the rules. When visiting your commercial or residential property, we will maintain physical distancing from each other and from you. In fact, you don’t even have to interact with us in person. We can run your entire account through email and are happy to accept payment remotely.
It’s been an awfully long winter here in Calgary, where we’ve been waiting patiently for signs of spring for what seems like months now. Spring will come, of this we’re sure, but there may be a couple more periods of snow before it will go away for good.
That doesn’t mean it’s too early to schedule your spring clean-up, though. The sooner we can get on to your property, the better it is for the growing season. We’re raring to go, so let’s get you on our list for our first visit of what will hopefully turn in to a beautiful summer.
Benefits of a Spring Clean-Up
The first benefit of a spring clean-up is in the name of the task. Clean! A spring clean-up just makes everything look so much better after a winter of being at the mercy of the weather. In addition to branches, twigs and leaves being down, a ton of garbage also gets dragged into our yards during the colder months. A spring clean-up tidies everything for a fresh new start.
More benefits of a spring clean-up include:
- Keeps disease down. A thorough raking helps keep your garden healthy by removing disease-carrying leaves and debris brought in over the winter. Too many leaves and debris on the ground can keep sunlight from reaching the soil, keeping the environment too damp, leading to fungal growth.
- Encourages growth. Edging and raking of tree wells and gardens keeps weeds and grass from invading where they’re not supposed to be. It also beautifully neatens up the look of your beds and trees. Keeping beds and wells clear also ensures moisture goes where it should and helps promote growth in your lawns and beds where you want it.
Spring Clean-Up Lawn Care
Although we’ll spend a lot of time carefully raking out your gardens and edging your beds, the majority of our spring clean-up work is focused on your lawn. Your spring clean-up package will include:
- Power raking of lawn areas. All lawns have thatch, which is a layer of dead grass, rhizomes, and roots. A small amount of thatch is ok, because it helps shade the soil and new roots, but a thick and dense layer will block water, air, and nutrients from getting where they need to be. It can also make a lawn appear bumpy and promote the growth of bacteria and fungus. Power-raking removes thatch, combs out dead grass, and sets up the perfect conditions for fertilizing.
- Clearing of gravel from lawns. The City of Calgary lays down a lot of gravel on city roads over the winter to help drivers maintain traction on slippery roads. A lot of this then gets kicked up onto properties, and it needs to be removed. Gravel will not only wreck your grass, it will wreck machines as well. Gravel removal is part of our spring clean-up services.
- First application of fertilizer. Fertilizer is vital in the spring, providing your lawn with key nutrients that will help keep it full, green, and healthy throughout the summer. Fertilizing also boosts your lawn’s natural resistance to weeds and pests.
- Removal of lawn litter and debris from lawn and garden areas. It’s very nice to watch the snow start to melt away, but it often leaves behind a bunch of dirt and debris. As part of our spring clean-up services we will remove all garbage from your yard, including your grass clippings, and we will sweep away all lawn clippings from entrances and sidewalks.
Indulge in the Difference a Professional Lawn Care Company Makes
Mirage Landscaping is a family-owned Calgary company that provides affordable property maintenance services to business owners and homeowners. In addition to complete lawn care services, we also offer landscape design and construction services guided by an expert team of experienced professionals.
With our help, you’ll improve your property’s curb appeal, enhancing its resale value and making it a more pleasant place to work, relax and enjoy the outdoors. Plus, we’ll take the labour off your hands. If you’d like to learn more about our services, or for a free custom quote, please fill out our online request form and a customer service representative will be in touch promptly.