As a year-round Calgary landscaping company providing both landscape maintenance and landscape construction services, we at Mirage also specialize in underground irrigation installation. As people have become more aware of the benefits of underground irrigation, this aspect of our business has developed and grown over our three generations in service to our customers. You’ll find us to be much different from many other companies in that we are there for you from the start to the finish of your underground irrigation installation project. Many other companies sub-contract, and then sub-contract from there, leaving you to deal with a confusing group of individuals, each of whom does not have all the answers to your questions.
Mapping out your property
Mapping out your irrigation zones properly is extremely important when it comes to underground irrigation installation, and it requires the skills of a trained expert in the field. Mirage Landscaping will map out your property and identify the correct number (and type) of zones required for full coverage for your lawn and garden beds. We will also identify where the best places for your irrigation boxes are so that they are both unobtrusive and convenient.
If you have a garden area that is mainly planted with shrubs, perennials, and annuals, it will require a different type of sprinkler than your lawn area. Taller sprinklers that are able to reach over the tops of your plants are required. Lawns that are flat expanses can use shorter sprinklers that don’t spray as high, but may need to be set at 360-degrees in order to cover all areas. Greenery placed right up against foundations should use more of a mister-type sprinkler that can be easily moved if necessary, and also placed so they will not ever touch your home.
Sprinklers also need to be placed at the right distance apart from each other so that the use of water is maximized while waste of water is minimized.
The many benefits of underground irrigation
Underground irrigation offers a multitude of benefits that have made it an increasingly popular choice for efficient and sustainable water management.
- Underground irrigation systems deliver water directly to the root zone of plants, minimizing evaporation and runoff. This targeted approach can reduce water usage by up to 50% compared to traditional surface irrigation methods.
- A consistent and controlled water supply fosters healthier plant growth as it reduces stress on plants, minimizes diseases, and enhances the overall quality of your plants.
- Since water is applied directly to the root zones of your plants, there is less moisture available for weed growth in the surface soil. This reduces the need for herbicides and manual weeding, making underground irrigation an eco-friendly option.
- Traditional surface irrigation (such as above-ground sprinklers) can lead to soil erosion and compaction, especially with Calgary’s sloped properties. Underground irrigation systems preserve the integrity of the soil by minimizing surface disturbances, promoting soil structure, and preventing nutrient leaching.
- Underground irrigation requires less energy compared to traditional surface irrigation methods. This efficiency translates to lower operational costs and reduced greenhouse gas emissions. Not only will your water bill go down, but your power bill may go down too!
- Underground irrigation can be integrated with rain sensors and weather data for optimal resource management. They can also be set for different durations at different times, so your watering schedule can be completely customized.
- As underground irrigation eliminates the need for unsightly above-ground hoses, it helps streamline and clean up the look of your landscaping. It also maximizes available space, making it ideal for areas with limited room for irrigation equipment.
- When installed and maintained properly, underground irrigation requiresnderground components are protected from weather-related wear and tear, resulting in a longer lifespan compared to surface systems. This reduces maintenance requirements and replacement costs.
- As Calgary is currently in the middle of water restrictions, underground irrigation can help businesses and individuals meet compliance requirements and avoid fines while still keeping your property looking great.
Don’t forget your fall irrigation blow-out
Blowing out your underground irrigation in the fall extends the lifespan of your underground irrigation exponentially. As we head into the coldest months of winter, the ground freezes and in Calgary the frost depth reaches about seven feet every year. This is why we have a lot of issues with frozen and burst water pipes.
If there is any water left in your irrigation’s pipes, it will freeze and expand over the winter. The pipes themselves also freeze, making them more brittle than usual. Come spring, when you try to run water through your irrigation system, you will either end up with a cracked or burst pipe. Either creates a boggy mess of your property, and usually requires a lot of digging to find the problem.
We will come by every fall with a compressor to ensure all of the extra water is pushed out of your underground irrigation so you can start your system back up with confidence come spring. At the same time, we will thoroughly check to ensure all of your components are working properly. As compressors run air through your system, each zone should be checked for proper pressure, spray direction, and blockages. It’s not uncommon for sprinkler heads to rotate a bit over the season, or get jammed, so we reset everything back to optimize water use for the spring.
Schedule your snow-removal services
Mirage Landscaping operates as a full-service, year-round landscaping and snow removal company specializing in serving southeast Calgary districts and communities. After we take care of your underground irrigation installation, we can carry on our property maintenance duties through the winter with snow removal services. Take the worry out of winter with Mirage. We are your outdoor ally all year round. Get started today by contacting Mirage for a fast, free project quote.